No matter how you start your Virtual Assistant career, all VAs need to tick many of the same boxes in order to establish a sustainable well run business.
Here are some of the points that all new VAs should aim to cover:
- Decide on a suitable business name but keep it meaningful.
- Develop a logo and recognisable brand for your business.
- Get business cards designed and printed.
- Ensure you sign up with a reputable accountant.
- Evaluate your skillset and decide on your key business focus as early as possible.
- Do not try and do it all yourself – remember you can outsource to Associate VAs who you will meet when you network within the VA community.
- Register an appropriate domain name and get a website built – ensure it allows you to blog and regularly post new content on it.
- Promote yourself both online and offline and attend networking events.
- Create a current and relevant profile on LinkedIn.
- Join VA groups and networks. Join in the discussion groups, ask questions and learn from experienced VAs. There are many free groups to join but on the paid for front I strongly recommend Be My VA.
- Register for the Data Protection Act (applies to UK VAs).
- Be discerning when you sign up for free this and free that. You will soon get bombarded with too much information.
- To encourage a happier, less stressful work-life balance, write down and share business expectations with prospective clients (ie have a contract).
- The ‘people’ side of the business can get overlooked with so many other startup activities to do, but this is time and energy well spent to avoid trouble later on:
- Decide which client personality types you like and those you work best with as well as those to avoid.
- Consider how your clients can support you in doing your best work and how to deal with problem-solving (ie how to resolve issues, when to fire a client).
- Save yourself a lot of heartache – take the VA Mastery Course (or a similar course). I can highly recommend Amanda Johnson’s course. Please tell her you found her through this site.
If all the above sounds daunting just remember that you will gain control over your life in the process.